How do I find a local SQL Server user group?
By: Jeremy Kadlec | Updated: 2006-07-11 | Comments (13) | Related: More > Professional Development Community
Researching SQL Server information on the internet and in books is very valuable and certainly good means to learn. But learning from other people in the same boat is extremely valuable. Most times the same issues have been encountered and you can cut to the chase and point to the issue on your screen. One means to learn about SQL Server in your community is via a user group. Unfortunately, many DBAs and Developers are not aware of the local user groups that are right around the corner.
To find a user group near you, check out our online listing of SQL Server User Groups. This is a pretty exentisve list of user groups.
Below are some other places to find a local user group:
|Culminis||Culminis is an international not-for-profit organization devoted to the development and growth of the IT community.|
|INETA||International .NET Association.|
|SQL PASS||The definitive Global Community for SQL Server Professionals.|
|MSSQLTips||Refer to our user group listing page|
If all else fails, visit your favorite search engine such as Google to search for a local user group.
- Once you find a local group, be sure to let your peers know and spread the word.
- Find out if you need to register for the meetings, so send an email to the group leader.
- Check out the meeting schedule and work some meetings into your schedule.
- Attend a few meetings and get to know some of the other people who attend, you might be surprised to hear many of the same questions you have from other attendees.
- Check out some of the other group's web site to see if you can download presentations or gather valuable URL's that you can use to meet your SQL Server needs.
- If you find out that a SQL Server user group is not in your area, get a few friends together and start your own. The benefits to you and the community are invaluable.
- If we don't have your user group listed on this page SQL Server User Groups, send us some feedback to let us know and we will add it.
Last Updated: 2006-07-11
About the author
View all my tips