Report Builder 3.0 Tutorial
By: Ray Barley
Report Builder is Microsoft's report authoring tool for business users. It has a simple and intuitive user interface that is similar to Microsoft Office. This tutorial will cover what you need to know to get started authoring reports with Report Builder 3.0, which was released with SQL Server 2008 R2.
Report Builder 3.0 provides the capability to design, execute and deploy SQL Server Reporting Services 2008 R2 reports. The user interface has been streamlined to allow business users to become proficient at authoring reports very quickly. Report Builder 3.0 has just about all of the features that are available in the Report Designer in Business Intelligence Development Studio (BIDS), which is the developer tool for authoring reports.
The tutorial consists of the following sections:
- Installing Report Builder 3.0
- Getting Started
- Report Wizards
- Building a Report from Scratch
- Deploying Reports
- For detailed information on Report Builder 3.0 visit SQL Server 2008 R2 Report Builder 3.0 in the Business Intelligence section of TechNet.
- For a list of tips about Report Builder on the MSSQLTips.com site visit Reporting Services Report Builder Tips.
- For information on designing reports with BIDS, take a look at our SQL Server Reporting Services Tutorial.
- The sample reports created in the tutorial are available here.
Last Update: 6/23/2011