I am a very frequent visitor of your articles on sqltips and I need your feedback on my current scenario if possible…
To give you the background I recently joined this company where they are using an (Node 1) Active / (Node 2) Passive/Node (3) Active/Node4 (Active)/Node 5 (Passive) cluster environment. This is a SQL 2008 R2/Windows 2008 R2 environment.
As of today, Node 1 has a named SQL Instance running on it and is set to Failover to Node2 and they both are the preferred owners/failover partners. Next, Node 3 has a named SQL instance installed on it and is set to failover to Node 5 and they both are preferred owners/failover partners in cluster. Node 4 doesn’t have anything running on it but it is in the cluster.
The task I was given is to now first change the failover partner(preferred owners) of Node 1 to Node 5 and then install a new named SQL cluster instance on the Node 2 and set it to failover to Node 5. Next thing I need to do is, install another named SQL instance on the Node 4 and set it to failover to Node 5. The ultimate goal here is all the first 4 nodes will have once single named instance running on each of them and they will all be set to failover to ONLY Node 5 in case any one goes down. This cluster was built half way by a DBA who left the organization and unfortunately we don’t have any documentation on this. I have to take this task at where it is left and build a complete A/A/A/A/P cluster.
Here is my current plan and please take a look and let me know if this makes sense…
1. On Node 5 I run the SQL setup and do “Add node to the SQL failover cluster”. This is in preparation to make the failover partner for instance on Node 1 to Node 5.
2. Now I change the Failover partner instance on Node 1 to Node 5 and make Node 1 and Node 5 preferred owners.
3. Now I run the set up on Node 2 and select the “New SQL Server failover cluster Installation” and install new instance on Node 2.
4. On Node 5 I run the SQL setup again and do “Add node to the SQL failover cluster”. This is in preparation to make the failover partner/preferred owners for instance on Node 2 to Node 5. At this point I am going to make the failover partners of Instance 2 on Node 2 as Node 2 and Node 5.
5. Now I run the set up on Node 4 and select the “New SQL Server failover cluster Installation” and install new instance on Node 4.
6. On Node 5 I run the SQL setup again and do “Add node to the SQL failover cluster”. This is in preparation to make the failover partner for instance on Node 4 to Node 5. At this point I am going to make the failover partners/preferred owners of Instance 4 on Node 4 as Node 4 and Node 5.
I have done many A/P passive installs before but this set up is bit complicated and as you have a lot of experience building the clusters (of course I read all your articles on cluster installJ) I would like to get your opinion on what will be the best route to complete this cluster build and make sure it goes smoothly. Please let me know your feedback on this.