Creating a Simple SSIS Package
In this section we will walk through creating a simple SSIS package from scratch. As an example we will generate an Excel spreadsheet that can be used to manually enter a sales forecast by city and state. The city and state information will be extracted from the AdventureWorksDW database and output to an Excel spreadsheet. The sales department could use this spreadsheet to enter the forecast. Another SSIS package will import the data from the spreadsheet and update a table in the AdventureWorksDW database.
In the sections that follow we will walk through the following steps:
- Create a new SSIS package and discuss some of the package properties
- Add Connection Managers for our data source and destination
- Add tasks to the package Control Flow
- Add tasks to the package Data Flow
- Execute the package in BIDS