SQL Server DAX Data Types and Operators
By: Siddharth Mehta
Data types and operators are basic units of storage and navigation in any functional / programming language. DAX also contains a small set of data types and operators. In this chapter we will briefly list all the data types and operators available in DAX.
Below is a list of data types and operators available in DAX.
Data Types in DAX
- Whole Number - Positive or negative integers with no decimal places.
- Decimal Number - Real numbers are numbers that can have decimal places up to 17 decimal digits.
- Boolean - Either a True or False value.
- Text - A Unicode character data string. Can be strings, numbers or dates represented in a text format.
- Date - Dates and times in an accepted date-time representation. Valid dates are all dates after March 1, 1900.
- Currency - Currency data type allows values with four decimal digits of fixed precision.
- Blank - A blank is a data type in DAX that represents nulls.
Operators in DAX
- Comparison operators (=, <>, <, <=, >, >=) - To compare values and return a logical TRUE/FALSE value.
- Arithmetic operators (+, -, *, /) - To perform arithmetic calculations that return numeric values.
- Text concatenation operators ( & ) - To join two or more text strings.
- Logical operators (&&, ||) - To combine two or more expressions to return a single result.