SQL Server Restore Commands
By: Greg Robidoux
There are several RESTORE commands and options that can be used to restore and view the contents of your backup files.
In this next section we will look at the following commands that can be used:
- RESTORE HEADERONLY - gives you a list of all the backups in a file
- RESTORE LABELONLY - gives you the backup media information
- RESTORE FILELISTONLY - gives you a list of all of the files that were backed up for a give backup
- RESTORE DATABASE - allows you to restore a full, differential, file or filegroup backup
- RESTORE LOG - allows you to restore a transaction log backup
- RESTORE VERIFYONLY - verifies that the backup is readable by the RESTORE process
Take the time to get to understand what options are available and what can be done using SQL Server Management Studio and what options are only available via T-SQL commands.
Last Update: 3/17/2009