SQL Server Terminology
By: Ben Snaidero
Here is a list of some of the terminology used with SQL Server.
- SSMS - SQL Server Management Studio
- SSRS - SQL Server Reporting Services
- SSIS - SQL Server Integration Services
- SSAS - SQL Server Analysis Services
- Recovery Model – Database property that controls what is logged in the transaction log. Modes include Full, Simple and Bulk-logged.
- Backup - A point-in-time copy of the data in your database. Types include Full, Transaction Log and Differential.
- Data File - Files in the database that store data and indexes.
- Transaction Log - Files in database that store a history of the changes made in the database.
- TempDB - Used to store temporary objects required for database operations that won't fit in memory.
- TSQL - Language used to query SQL Server databases
- Replication - The process of replicating data between two databases. Types include Transactional, Merge and Snapshot.
- Mirroring - The process of maintaining a copy of your database on another server.
- AlwaysOn - High-availability disaster recovery solution (replaces SQL Server Mirroring).
- Profiler - A tool that is used to monitor the activity in the database engine.
- Extended Events - An event handling framework for server systems.
- DMV - Dynamic Management Views. Used to query system state information.
- MDX - Language used to query Analysis Services multidimensional objects
- Login - Allows a person or machine access to the SQL Server instance
- User - Allows a login access to a database
- DDL - Data Definition Language statements are statements that are used to manage the objects within your database.
- DML - Data Manipulation Language statements are statements that you use to insert, update, delete and select data from your database.
- SQLCMD - Command line utility to issue queries against SQL Server
Last Update: 8/23/2019