SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) Tutorial
By: Ray Barley
SQL Server Reporting Services 2008 (SSRS) is a feature included in the SQL Server 2008 product. We use SSRS to design, develop, test, and deploy reports. SSRS was originally slated to be released with SQL Server 2005 but it wound up being released a little bit ahead of SQL Server 2005. SSRS leverages the Business Intelligence Development Studio (BIDS) developer tool for all aspects of authoring and deploying reports. BIDS is included with SQL Server 2008.
In this tutorial we will step through a number of topics that you need to understand to successfully build a report. Our high level outline is as follows:
- Reporting Services Components
- Install Reporting Services
- Business Intelligence Development Studio (BIDS)
- Install Sample Database
- Create a Simple Report with the Wizard
- Create a Simple Report with the Report Designer
- Deploy Reports
- Configure Report Manager Security
To step through the tutorial topics, use the outline to the left, the arrow buttons next to the outline topic heading, or the arrow buttons at the bottom of each page.