SQL Server Analysis Services Enhancements
By: Siddharth Mehta
SQL Server Analysis Services was introduced as a part of the Microsoft Business Intelligence stack starting with SQL Server 2005. The first major version update to SSAS came with SQL Server 2008 / 2008 R2. The major features and enhancements in SSAS from 2008 R2 through 2016 are listed below.
SQL Server Analysis Services 2008 R2
- SSAS Integration with SharePoint - PowerPivot for SharePoint and Excel with DAX support
- Aggregation Design improvements in Aggregation Design and Usage-based Optimization Wizards
- Dimension Design improvements in Dimension as well as Attribute-Relationship Designer
- Storage related performance improvements
SQL Server Analysis Services 2012
- Multi-dimensional, Tabular and SharePoint server mode as well as xVelocity In-Memory Analytics Engine (Vertipaq) introduced
- Tabular Model development in SQL Server Data Tools
- Improvements in resource monitoring and event tracking for Multidimensional as well as Tabular server modes
- Enhancements and/or improvements in DAX, AMO, PowerShell, XMLA and CSDL
SQL Server Analysis Services 2014
SQL Server Analysis Services 2016
- Azure Analysis Services Preview announced
- Tabular Modeling enhancements for SSAS Tabular Models like Translations and Calculates Tables
- New DAX functions
- Improved Tabular Instance Management, DBCC for SSAS, etc
- Scripting enhancements for PowerShell, Tabular Model Scripting Language and AMO
- DirectQuery performance improvements in Tabular SSAS
- We will be looking at some fundamental and important features for developing, deploying and browsing a SSAS data model in Multidimensional and Tabular server modes.
- Consider reading more about tools and applications used in SSAS from here.
Last Update: 4/18/2017