Study material for Exam PL-300: Microsoft Power BI Data Analyst
PL-300: Microsoft Power BI Data Analyst is a Microsoft’s replacement exam for DA-100: Analyzing Data with Microsoft Power BI which officially retired on 03/31/2022. As a replacement exam, PL-300 covers the same knowledge base as DA-100 did, but PL-300 reorganizes the exam structure, such as consolidates the number of subject areas, gives different weighting (i.e., the expected number of questions in the test) to various topics. What are some of the best materials I can use to study for this exam?
In this tip, we will provide you with the basic information on this exam and the appropriate study materials including web links, books, online courses, practice test and tips you can use to prepare for and pass the exam.
What is the Audience of PL-300 Exam?
This exam PL-300 Analyzing Data with Microsoft Power BI is aimed at Data Analysts who want to validate their skills. Candidates should have a fundamental understanding of data repositories and data processing both on-premises and in the cloud, as well as be proficient using Power Query and writing expressions by using DAX.
What is the Format, Duration, Number of Questions of the exam?
- The exam duration is 180 Minutes.
- The exam format includes multiple-choice and multiple response questions with case studies.
- The exam has 40-60 questions.
What is the score to pass?
What certificate do you get after passing the exam?
- Microsoft Certified: Power BI Data Analyst Associate
Which books would you recommend for this exam?
Exam Ref Pl-300 Power Bi Data Analyst by Daniil Maslyuk. This Exam Ref is the official study guide for the new Microsoft Exam PL-300: Microsoft Power BI Data Analyst. This title has not yet been released as of this writing, but you can preorder the book at Amazon.com.
The Definitive Guide to DAX Second Edition by Marco Russo and Alberto Ferrari. As DAX is an included topic in the exam, this comprehensive and authoritative guide to the DAX language will be very useful to prepare for and pass the exam.
Learn Power BI 2nd Edition by Greg Deckler. This newly revised and expanded edition of Learn Power BI covers all of the latest features in a clear, concise way using real-world examples.
Do you recommend practice tests for this exam?
mindhub.com provides the online Microsoft Official Practice Test powered by MeasureUp. This test contains 173 questions and all objectives of the exam are covered in depth so you'll be ready for any question on the exam.
Are there courses for this exam?
Microsoft Learning paths provides some free online modules to gain the fundamental skills needed to become certified. The Learning path PL-300 collections have the following modules:
- Discover data analysis
- Get started building with Power BI
- Get data in Power BI
- Clean, transform, and load data in Power BI
- Design a data model in Power BI
- Introduction to creating measures using DAX in Power BI
- Optimize a model for performance in Power BI
- Work with Power BI visuals
- Create a data-driven story with Power BI reports
- Create dashboards in Power BI
- Perform analytics in Power BI
- Work with AI visuals in Power BI
- Create and manage workspaces in Power BI
- Implement row-level security
Udemy has several courses covers the content required for the PL-300 certification exams, among them the one by Phillip Burton has the most detailed and in-depth coverage of all the exam subject topics, this course is updated often and highly rated by students.
Can you provide some links to study for the exam?
Here are the best study materials links that we recommend organized by the Exam PL-300: Microsoft Power BI Data Analyst – Skills Measured outline:
Prepare the Data (15-20%)
- Get data from different data sources
- Clean, transform, and load the data
- Profile the data
- Resolve inconsistencies, unexpected or null values, and data quality issues
- Identify and create appropriate keys for joins
- Evaluate and transform column data types
- Shape and transform tables
- Combine queries
- Apply user-friendly naming conventions to columns and queries
- Configure data loading
- Resolve data import errors
Model the Data (30-35%)
- Design a data model
- Develop a data model
- Create model calculations by using DAX
- Optimize model performance
Visualize and Analyze the Data (25-30%)
- Create reports
- Add visualization items to reports
- Choose an appropriate visualization type
- Format and configure visualizations
- Use a custom visual
- Configure conditional formatting
- Apply and customize a theme
- Apply slicing and filtering
- Configure the report page
- Use the Analyze in Excel feature
- Choose when to use a paginated report
- Create dashboards
- Enhance reports for usability and storytelling
- Configure bookmarks
- Create custom tooltips
- Edit and configure interactions between visuals
- Configure navigation for a report
- Apply sorting
- Configure Sync Slicers
- Group and layer visuals by using the selection pane
- Drilldown into data using interactive visuals
- Export report data
- Design reports for mobile devices
- Identify patterns and trends
Deploy and Maintain Assets (20-25%)
- Manage files and datasets
- Manage workspaces
For more information and exam prep tips, refer to the links below:
- Exam PL-300: Microsoft Power BI Data Analyst
- How to Crack Microsoft Certified: Power BI Data Analyst Associate (PL-300) Exam
About the author
View all my tips
Article Last Updated: 2022-06-14