By: Daniel Calbimonte | Updated: 2017-01-25 | Comments (13) | Related: More > Professional Development Certifications
I want to pass my first Microsoft SQL Server 2016 certification exam, what exam should I take and how can I study for this?
The first exam for SQL Server 2016 is the Microsoft Exam 70-761. It is the first exam related to querying data with Transact-SQL, which is the query language used in SQL Server.
Which exam should I take before this one?
If you want to get a Microsoft certification, we recommend taking this exam first.
Is this exam difficult?
If you have experience using T-SQL, it should not be very difficult.
What is the score to pass?
What other exams are available for the SQL Server 2016 certification?
Is this exam similar to the SQL Server exam 70-461: Querying Microsoft SQL Server 2012/2014?
It is similar. Some topics are modified, some are in a different order and some were removed. For example, The Troubleshoot and Optimize module was removed in the new SQL Server 2016 exam. One topic that may require extra effort is the JSON topic. This is a new SQL Server 2016 feature that is included in the exam. Another new feature is temporal tables. Please pay attention to these two topics.
Which books do you recommend for this exam?
Unfortunately, there is no Microsoft Training Kit book for this exam yet. However, these books will help you pass the exam:
- Itzik Ben-Gan books, specially T-SQL fundamentals, T-SQL querying and 70-461 Training kits. They are excellent books.
- Beginning Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Programming 1st Edition is another option if you do not like Itzik Ben-Gan books. This book covers most of the topics.
- Beginner SQL Programming Using Microsoft SQL Server 2016 is a beginner book. It does not cover most of the topics, but it is a good book if you do not have any experience in T-SQL and you find the other books difficult.
- Learn SQL Server Intuitively: Transact-SQL: The Solid Basics is another book for beginners. It cover more topics than the beginner SQL Programming book mentioned before.
- Murach's SQL Server 2012 for Developers (Training & Reference) is another option. It is a complete book with a different style. It covers many of the topics.
Do you recommend videos for this exam?
Yes, these books may be useful:
- Introduction to JSON in SQL Server 2016 Part1
- Working with XML and SQL Server
- SQL Server tutorial for beginners
- Beyond T-SQL: non-relational features in SQL Server 2016
- Querying Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Databases
- Querying with Transact-SQL
Which courses do you recommend for the exam?
The official Microsoft course is this one:
This course does not include all the topics, but if you prefer a teacher rather than reading books or watching videos, it is a good choice to start.
Other courses recommended are the following:
- SolidQ is a solid in the Course Catalogue, there are several basic and advanced T-SQL courses.
- Pluralsight is another company that offers several courses related to T-SQL.
Which links do you recommend to this pass?
Here you have some links that we recommend:
Manage data with Transact-SQL
- Create Transact-SQL SELECT queries
- Query multiple tables by using joins
- Implement functions and aggregate data
- Modify data
Query data with advanced Transact-SQL components
- Query data by using subqueries and APPLY
- Query data by using table expressions
- Group and pivot data by using queries
- Query temporal data and non-relational data
Program databases by using Transact-SQL
- Create database programmability objects by using Transact-SQL
- Implement error handling and transactions
- Implement data types and NULLs
For more information, refer to these links:
Last Updated: 2017-01-25
About the author
View all my tips