Problem / Solution
SSRS 2012 reports can be deployed in various ways including:
- SQL Server Data Tools via the deploy option
- By manually going to the report server and uploading the RDL file
- Via the command line and the RS.EXE command utility
In this video tip we cover using the tool to deploy a report from your local directory to a report server. The utility has two required arguments:
- -i : denotes the input file, including the full or relative path, which will be run by RS.exe. This file must be written in Visual Basic .Net code and must have an rss extension and
- -s : denotes the SSRS server URL, such as http://myserver/ReportServer or https://myserver/ReportServer.
Additional arguments can be passed to the utility at runtime including the "-v" argument which allows variables to be passed to the script. The RS.exe program is generally found in the default installation directory: Tools> Binn directory; for my SQL Server 2012 installation the file was located in: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn.
Key Learning Items
- Learn how to use RS.EXE to deploy a report
- Learn about the use of the different arguments for RS.EXE
Read Companion Tip
Last Update: 2014-08-29
About the author
View all my tips